Heresy

• I generally never use actual forwards (because why make the game easy, right?), but every now and then I'll have a few brain farts that involve forwards. Ironically enough, I am an actual forward myself in real life, so it's not that I dislike them or anything. Anyway, Heresy is my FM17 project that involves strikers (singular actually, let's not get carried away) and I'm looking to pick up a bit of feedback.

The formation

So the idea is not that far removed from the regular strikerless football I want the team to play. A strong central core, plenty of movement and a solid base for aggressive fore-checking. The idea is that the shadow strikers add some width going forward, whereas the movement of the false nine generates space for them to run into.

The ball winning midfielder on defend duty is placed in central midfield to act as a central pivot. With a defensive role, he will generally be rather static. If I place him in the defensive midfield stratum, he will not participate in the offensive phases of the game. A support midfielder in that position does move forward when the team is in possession, effectively turning our triangular-shaped midfield into a flat three when in possession.

A concept may look flash and pretty on the drawing board but it needs to be applicable in reality (or in this case, in FM) for it to be effective. The pillars that make up my preferred style have been defined, now it’s time for me to apply these ideas and mold them into a set of team instructions that is effective yet does not stray (too) far from the ideal style I had in mind when I started the design process.

The team instructions

With the three underlying concepts in mind, I feel these settings should enable me to play the style I desire. I have opted for a “very fluid” team shape to ensure the cohesion and compact formation I strive for. The “control” mentality is generally my starting mentality, though I tend to mix it up during the matches. A “higher tempo” helps to ensure they are able to pass and move their way through a defense. The defensive line is sent to “slightly higher” to help out with the pressing aspect as well as keeping the formation compact, which in turn helps out with the movement and cohesion. The use of the “offside trap” makes sense if you’re using a higher defensive line, you don’t want to give away loads of space without ensuring some form of protection. “More closing down” and the “prevention of short goalie distribution” are put in place to help with the relentless pressing and keep the lines compact, which again helps with the cohesion and in the case of a turn-over of possession ensures the possibility of a quick break. “Play out of defense” seems necessary because of the very nature of strikerless football. Without a forward to hold up the ball it seems rather pointless to hoof the ball forward. “Pass into space” makes perfect sense. Strikerless is all about movement and since I enjoy the brand of football, I want to replicate it in this tactic, so I need to utilize the space that opens up on the pitch. The “more direct passing” approach is a bit of trial and error from my part. Mixed and normal passing left me struggling to achieve enough penetration of the opposing defensive line, this passing style seems to get the job done. The free-flowing and adventurous nature of strikerless football almost necessitates the use of the “be more expressive” and “roam from positions” instructions.

So yeah, hit me with your feedback.

• @MerryGuido said in Heresy:

I generally never use actual forwards (because why make the game easy, right?), but every now and then I'll have a few brain farts that involve forwards. Ironically enough, I am an actual forward myself in real life, so it's not that I dislike them or anything. Anyway, Heresy is my FM17 project that involves strikers (singular actually, let's not get carried away) and I'm looking to pick up a bit of feedback.

The formation

So the idea is not that far removed from the regular strikerless football I want the team to play. A strong central core, plenty of movement and a solid base for aggressive fore-checking. The idea is that the shadow strikers add some width going forward, whereas the movement of the false nine generates space for them to run into.

The ball winning midfielder on defend duty is placed in central midfield to act as a central pivot. With a defensive role, he will generally be rather static. If I place him in the defensive midfield stratum, he will not participate in the offensive phases of the game. A support midfielder in that position does move forward when the team is in possession, effectively turning our triangular-shaped midfield into a flat three when in possession.

A concept may look flash and pretty on the drawing board but it needs to be applicable in reality (or in this case, in FM) for it to be effective. The pillars that make up my preferred style have been defined, now it’s time for me to apply these ideas and mold them into a set of team instructions that is effective yet does not stray (too) far from the ideal style I had in mind when I started the design process.

The team instructions

With the three underlying concepts in mind, I feel these settings should enable me to play the style I desire. I have opted for a “very fluid” team shape to ensure the cohesion and compact formation I strive for. The “control” mentality is generally my starting mentality, though I tend to mix it up during the matches. A “higher tempo” helps to ensure they are able to pass and move their way through a defense. The defensive line is sent to “slightly higher” to help out with the pressing aspect as well as keeping the formation compact, which in turn helps out with the movement and cohesion. The use of the “offside trap” makes sense if you’re using a higher defensive line, you don’t want to give away loads of space without ensuring some form of protection. “More closing down” and the “prevention of short goalie distribution” are put in place to help with the relentless pressing and keep the lines compact, which again helps with the cohesion and in the case of a turn-over of possession ensures the possibility of a quick break. “Play out of defense” seems necessary because of the very nature of strikerless football. Without a forward to hold up the ball it seems rather pointless to hoof the ball forward. “Pass into space” makes perfect sense. Strikerless is all about movement and since I enjoy the brand of football, I want to replicate it in this tactic, so I need to utilize the space that opens up on the pitch. The “more direct passing” approach is a bit of trial and error from my part. Mixed and normal passing left me struggling to achieve enough penetration of the opposing defensive line, this passing style seems to get the job done. The free-flowing and adventurous nature of strikerless football almost necessitates the use of the “be more expressive” and “roam from positions” instructions.

So yeah, hit me with your feedback.

I'll give this a try tonight and let you know the results 👍🏼

• Admin

Looks great! I would like to try it when I find time! It reminds me so much last year my team, Roma. We played some awesome games playing exactly with this tactic, maybe the best one was Roma-Fiorentina won 4-1 and the lineup was Szczesny; Florenzi (CWB), Manolas, Rudiger (both CDs), Digne (CWB); Pjanic (Roaming Playmaker), Keita (BWM), Nainggolan (complete player but like BWM); Salah (Shadow Striker), Perotti (False 9), El Shaarawy (Shadow Striker). I was watching this game at the stadium and he was astonishing to see how good these guys played that game.

• @Fra I am actually playing with Roma now. :)

• Admin

@MerryGuido How is it going? Did you actually take inspiration from Roma or is just a coincidence?

• A happy coincidence. I've been playing strikerless for years and their squad suited my needs, with only one actual forward. I never liked Dzeko anyway.

• Admin

@MerryGuido So what did you do with Dzeko at first? Did you sell him? I thought it was hard to sell him in the first transfer market window of the game!

• hey Guido,

interesting idea. Im playing 4141 myself but a more conventional one. Looking for some ideas and feedback too if u would care to help out. As for yours, i have to admit that i have not tried out it yet but i like. Well except that part that im not too sure if it will do well in defense. movement wise in attack i can see that AI will have hell of a time trying to track any attacking players of yours tho scoring might be also difficult because of the huge amount of moments. i suppose it needs alot of familiarity to get this one going.
    Why i feel its a little lack on defensive is due to the 2 bwm in the middle and on the side the cwb. those position ensures that you do get a nice attack support and even good press topside but when opponents break through its usually a 2 def man. maybe the cover/stopper combo might just hold on long enough but we wont know till we try it right?
    again love ya ideas.

• Hey @MerryGuido i started this FM17 with ur tactic strikerless... Bur then i changed to Mr L 3-4-3. It looks reaaally similar their 3 F9 as ur SStriker. And one time at the match using the 3-4-3 i just switch my F9s into shadow strikers and worked really similar! I think you shoud try if u didnt!

• Admin

Hey, I just posted the results of the test of the version 1.4 of this tactic!

Looks like your connection to MrLTactics.com was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.